Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Greatest Enemy I've Ever Known

The greatest enemy I’ve ever known was depression.  Depression is something I didn’t believe in until my fall from grace a few years ago.  The feeling of complete hopelessness the lack of motivation the constant barrage of horrible thought it was a nightmare I couldn’t wake up from.  It was like a prison you create in your mind that manifests into physical form.  I went from being an active member in society to a living ghost.  I became a shell of my former self.  Where there was ambition and passion self-doubt and hopelessness took over.  Nothing and no one could reach me I was locked in what felt like a permanent prison of despair and self-loathing.  I would pray for the sun not to come up every morning because it meant that I would have to deal with the world I no longer felt a part of.  When I finally came out of that horrific mental state it wasn’t some wonder drug or counseling that brought me back from the brink it was an inner strength and faith I tapped into and didn’t even know I had.  It was like relearning how to live, step by step.  Instead of sleeping the morning away I would get up early and go for jog, and then I’d stop by my church and pray at chapel.  Next, I go home and set a goal for the day.  As time went on my goals became more ambitious and complex and for the first time in my life I became truly self-reliant not needing a pat on the back or encouragement from someone else.  The depression somehow made me stronger I felt like I had a second chance and since then this world has thrown me several curve balls but unlike before I was now able to cope with just about anything this life has to offer.  Sometimes you get lost in the dark but sooner or later you’ll find the light within your heart.

1 comment:

  1. I know many including myself that have experienced this silent eneny. Ones inner strength CAN bring you back! Bad things can happen to good, hard working honest peeps no doubt. A true Winner will always survive lifes many challenges & like Rocky, Always get back up:-) Great post Vince :-)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts